Welcome to Personal Finance Fundamentals
Take control over life's toughest decisions
In every major decision in life, there will be the question that you will always ask yourself... "Can I afford it?"
People often have fantastic ambitions and are full of energy to pursue challenges that will change their life and the world. The greatest things holding them back are the daunting questions of affordability:
- Can I afford to go to school?
- Can I afford that new apartment
- Can I afford to try a new career and move to a new city?
Learning the fundamentals of personal finance will help you know when you can and when you cannot afford something.
Better yet, a strong understanding of personal finance will give you the freedom to spend your life the way you want.
Simplify Personal Finance
It doesn't need to be complicated. You will be able to take control of your life and grow your wealth more than ever before.
In this course, we take you from zero understanding of personal finance to a confident financial decision-maker.
See what our students say!
"This is epic, really well done, and I'm a huge fan."
- Liam, Underwriter, Intact Insurance
"[Zack,] I think that you have really mastered making the videos concise. They give enough info to provide an excellent basic understanding of all the concepts."
- Sascha, Dual Engineering and Business student, University of Calgary
"I really enjoyed the course! It was super easy to follow and a great pace."
- Taylor, Research Assistant, University of Calgary
"I think every young adult who plans on retiring should take this course!!!"
- Deb, Psychiatrist
"The overall course was very digestible and easy to follow! I think it's easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of information and jargon there is out there but this course provides a much more holistic view and introduction to personal finance!"
- Nathaniel, Software Engineer
"Great content. Delivered in a straightforward, incremental fashion. I especially liked the examples provided for each section, plus the associated dollar and/or time savings."
- Dan, Insurance BD Specialist
Meet Your Instructors
My name is Zachary Kahn and I am the co-founder of Compound Confidence and lead instructor for this course. I have a passion for helping people learn the skills and strategies that allow them to achieve anything they want while doing what they love.
I work at Google and graduated from university with a combined degree in Chemical Engineering and Computer Science. I enjoy building great education and technology products. We would love for you to join Compound Confidence so that we can be part of your financial freedom journey.
My name is Joshua Kahn and I am a co-founder of Compound Confidence and teaching assistant for this course. I believe we can help people pursue their passion without being held back by their personal finances.
I work at Galatea Technologies and graduated from university with a combined degree in Mechanical Engineering and Finance. I enjoy helping others pursue their goals and create value in the world. If you have any questions along your journey, I will be there to walk you through it.
We expect to add value to your life.
Your time is valuable, and we don't plan on wasting it. Our goal is to provide at least 10 times more value to you than you pay for this course over the next 5 years.
Here is some data we have to show you why we think this course is worth your time.
Students who take this course:
✅ Learn how to create a strong budget and automate the budgeting process to stay on top of expenses
✅ Identify the difference between good and bad debt and how loans work
✅ Recognize the power of compound interest and the danger of credit card debt
✅ Protect online identity and prevent personal financial fraud
✅ Understand the basics of taxes and true take-home pay
✅ Get more out of each paycheck and your investments by utilizing registered investment accounts
✅ Bonus: How to be financially ready for post-secondary education
On average, our feedback suggests that students will:
Save/earn an extra $7,500 over the next 5 years
from what they learn in this course
Again, we are long-term thinkers, so we hope these results only compound more over your lifetime.
- Overview (1:20)
- Lecture 1 - A story about loans, principal, and interest (10:58)
- Lecture 2 - A story about equity and dangerous debt (10:46)
- Lecture 3 - What are interest rates? (7:41)
- Lecture 4 - Intro to compound interest (5:43)
- Lecture 5 - Compound interest example (11:32)
- Lecture 6 - How dangerous debt eats away at your net worth (8:55)
- Lecture 7 - The power of reinvesting extra saved money each month (6:55)
- Lecture 8 - What is a credit score?
- Lecture 1 - Checking and Saving Accounts (11:39)
- Lecture 2 - TFSA part 1 (11:24)
- Lecture 3 - TFSA part 2 (14:19)
- Lecture 4 - Visual example to showcase the power of the TFSA (11:38)
- Lecture 5 - RRSP part 1 (13:38)
- Lecture 6 - RRSP part 2 (8:15)
- Lecture 7 - RRSP part 3 (12:52)
- Lecture 8 - The power of the RRSP (15:53)
- Lecture 9 - Summary of all accounts (and others to check out)
- Overview (1:19)
- Lecture 1 - How to reduce post secondary education expenses (15:59)
- Lecture 2 - Student loans part 1 (7:41)
- Lecture 3 - Student loans part 2 (12:43)
- Lecture 4 - Analyzing the utility of your degree (13:45)
- Lecture 5 - Example of how to compare ROI, payback period, and lifetime earnings of different degrees (13:36)
Got the Fundamentals Down?
Dig into personal finance with The Finance You Need To Know and build your wealth with The Complete Passive Investing Mini-Course